Thursday, February 25, 2010

Brief trip to DC

From my first cab driver I learned that while Ethiopians speak Amharic, they (at least the Orthodox Christians) read from a bible written in an ancient Ethiopian language called Ge’ez. Like Latin or pre-Israel Hebrew, Ge’ez is used mainly in religious contexts and provides our modern ears a window into the utterances of our ancient ancestors. We stumbled onto this arcane topic because his son, Nawalit, was born only weeks apart from my son, Caleb. Both have biblical names. Caleb in Hebrew and Nawalit in Ge’ez.

My second cabdriver, an overweight loveable curmudgeon type told me about his experiences during the recent apocalyptic scale snow storms, “Lady, it was Hell. I didn’t leave the house for 7 days. But I ran out of liquor on day 3.”

I miss DC

No comments:

Post a Comment