Wednesday, January 27, 2010

b...b....b...baby

Like so many first time parents I use a totally unreasonable excess of “nicknames” for my baby. His name, Caleb, which we love and is the result of months of painstaking contemplation, is almost never heard.

I like to think these nicknames reveal themselves to me more than I come up with them. They really do just pop out of my mouth before I have a chance to stop them. Lately it’s been a wellspring of “buh” sounds. My little man goes by “bubsieboo,” “boo bear,” “buster brown,” “bumble bee,” and (this last one is embarrassing, but I have no power to stop it) “boo boo.”

I guess he’s not quite a Caleb yet. He’s a round, soft, funny, toddling, ball of love, and apparently those imagines are neurologically wired with the "buh" sound. I guess that’s why our babies are called babies. I’m sure when he hears me finally call him “Caleb” he’ll look around and wonder who I’m talking to.

No comments:

Post a Comment